bad habits you had to change

thinsomeday
on 4/3/09 5:58 am - webster, MA
Hi all -

I am preop and working on identyfying and changing what has gotten me to big.  I still haven't figured out what I am so hungry for (Oprah fans will know what I am referring to).  I am in individual therapy and a group therepy on mindfull eating/compulsive overeating being created this month by the same therapist.  Why choose the unhealthy option knowing how bad it is both psysically and emotionally...so I suppose if I had that answer I wouldn't have gotten this big or need surgery to help me.

Anyways - I was curious to see what your top 5 worst habits were/are and how did you "fix" it, stop it, change it, etc.  Wondering what others struggles/habits were, as well as those that can offer advice for mine. 

Mine are:
1) fast food - especially mcdonalds and dunkin donuts
2) not planning meals/grocery shopping on a regular schedule
3) eating when i get home (i work nights)
4) going out to dinner/ordering out daily

thanks
thinsomeday
on 4/3/09 6:09 am - webster, MA
oops - that was just 4 -
5) portion control
Sue M.
on 4/3/09 9:25 am - Nantucket, MA
portion control was a BIG bad habit for me.
My love of WHITE food - bread, pasta, rice was another killer.  I still avoid pasta and rice (haven't had any kind of pasta since surgery) and have only had a few bits of bread... and i only choose whole wheat - preferable toasted.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
MultiMom
on 4/3/09 10:10 am - NH
Biggest problem-BUTTER
Second biggest-PASTA & RICE

Both are big triggers for me, and I haven't had them in almost 8 months, maybe never will ....  I haven't missed them either, go figure.

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

purplefans
on 4/4/09 10:54 am - MA

Ice cream.   Couldn't even have it in the house for the kids because i'd eat it.  also breads.  Yum.
and lots of both - especially garlic cheese french bread. 

Having the right food in the fridge and cupboards for the small meals, e.g. almonds, cheese,   I've found that quality, not quantity is the way to go.    I haven't had ice cream since, and it doesn't bother me.  There is ice cream in the freezer for the kids - although I must admit i DO like the sugar free fudgcicles!  (which are a must after surgery!). 

Reading nutrition labels is mandatory.  I am so aware of the sugar numbers.  

rockysmom
on 4/4/09 11:14 am - Dartmouth, MA
I bet everyone could start their list with your 4! -  I find it all to be so much easier now.  If I go for McDonald's or a donut, I can't eat enough of it to do much harm, and I don't enjoy it much anyway.  I'm forced to shop and plan meals, because if I don't I find myself with nothing to eat!
jdr1208
on 4/7/09 4:34 am - Worcester, MA
well im still pre op but i could easily list 5 bad habits i have...

1.) money- i know this is something im going to have to figure out, but at the end of the week after bills are paid and we've bought diapers and have $50 left to food shop for a family of 3, its much easier to buy the bad foods in bulk, the pastas, the hot dogs, etc... about once a month we make it to bj's and buy in bulk the good stuff, chicken breasts, bags of frozen veggies, fruit, tofu, etc... but we only have enough money to make the good foods a treat.

2.) eating everything on my plate- im a culprit for this, and what makes it worse is when its the aforementioned bad foods. i'll eat everything on my plate, or everything i cook, if its there. even when i try to trick myself and put it away.

3.) not knowing when im full, or rather, ignoring when im full and eating til im sick.

4.) high calorie coffee's!

5.) grazing all day at work then not eating dinner til 9pm.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views